Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Daily Office Reflection: Tuesday of Easter Week

Psalms 103 * 111, 114; Isaiah 30:18-21; Acts 2:36-41(42-47); John 14:15-31

We are at the beginning of the great 50 days of Easter - sometimes referred to as Eastertide. In our Gospel reading from John today we are given Jesus' promise of the sending the the Advocate (the Paraclete) which we know as the Holy Spirit. And he ends with the sentence Rise, let us be on our way

Jesus talks about his corporeal self not being here: In a little while the world will no longer see me, but you will see me; because I live, you also will live. On that day, you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you. This is part of the difficulty of our faith, particularly in the world we live in that relies so much on what we can taste, see and smell. That empirical proof is, that tangible proof is not there for us because we were not alive 2000 years ago. 

But we do have this Spirit that leads us and guides us on the way if we allow ourselves to live into this life and keep ourselves open to God's voice in our lives. Living intentionally in a community of faith and being involved in that community is part of opening ourselves. It is part of our response to Jesus' command to Rise, let us be on the way.
jfd+

Copyright 2009, John F. Dwyer, All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment