Saturday, April 11, 2009

Daily Office Reflection: Holy Saturday

Psalm 95, 88 * 27; Job 19:21-27a; Hebrews 4:1-16(MP); Romans 8:1-11(EP)

The last day of Holy Week, the last day of Lent is finally here. This seems to have been a very long Lenten trek this year and my patience with the whole season is at an end. That impatience manifests itself in different ways. I am usually impatient with my dog when I am walking her during inclement weather. Weirdly, as I was walking my dog in the rain this morning I wasn't impatient with her incessant sniffing before finding the exact right spot to put her butt to pee or poop. I found myself enjoying the quiet, the sound of the rain falling through the newly budding branches of trees near the river. The sound of the rain on the water made me feel peaceful. Perhaps that is one of the things we are supposed to feel and think about today, this last day of Lent/Holy Week. Perhaps the impatience is natural....we want it to be Easter morning....we want to sing the "A" word and rejoice at Jesus' resurrection.

We are on the cusp of a new dawn and it is natural for our excitement to build. It is also natural to feel a calmness and sureness about what we celebrate tomorrow (or this evening at the Vigil services that will take place around the world).  A calmness and sureness that we are the recipients of a greater love than we can ever imagine being gifted: it is there for all of us. I can wait till then to say the "A" word. (Well, what the heck..... ALLELUIA!!! HE IS RISEN! HAPPY EASTER.) 
jfd+

Copyright 2009, The Rev. John F. Dwyer. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment