Monday, August 11, 2008

Daily Office Reflection: In God

Psalms 89:1-18 * 89:19-52; Judges 12:1-7; Acts 5:12-26; John 3:1-21

those who do what is true come to the light, so that it may be clearly seen that their deeds have been done in God. 

Light and dark are such vivid images in literature as well as in movie-making. The film Ordinary People comes to mind when I think of the effective use of of light and dark. This is one of the films I name when I am asked that very difficult question "What is your favorite film?" I have a few that I pick from but this is one that I name frequently. 

The light effects in this film change, subtle but in quite dramatic fashion as the film progresses. The lead character finally finds his way to truth and the light changes. This, I think, is what John is talking about when he gives Jesus these words to say to Nicodemus. John uses the metaphorical images of light and dark constantly: light for things in God and dark for things not of God.

We all know when we are doing things that are in God and when we are not. We know it deep in our gut and it is important to pay attention to our gut when those instincts are speaking to us. Today's passage from John reminds us to live in that place of light as we will find God with us there and we will find peace.
jfd+

Copyright 2008, John F. Dwyer. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment