Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Daily Office Reflection: Answering

Psalms: 78(1-39) * 78(40-72); Judges 7:1-18; Acts 3:1-11; John 1:19-28

When I was a practicing attorney I often found myself preparing people to give depositions or testify at trial. We always would go over their knowledge of the facts important to the case in great detail. We would also practice their testimony, by my asking them questions, and their providing an answer. Invariably, I would say Answer the question asked, no more, no less. This proved to be a difficult thing to do for almost every witness I have ever encountered. People always want to explain what they mean, or provide more detail then was asked for: which for the attorney asking the questions is a dream because it provides more avenues to explore.

With this in mind, John the Baptist would have been a dream client for me. (In other ways he would have been a horror show, but in this one thing, he would have excelled.) Look at the answers he gives the priests and Levites who are sent to question him today: I am not the Messiah; I am not; No; I am the voice in the wilderness; make straight the path of the Lord. Short, concise answers. John the Baptist today answers the questions asked, no more, no less. He does not put on airs, or mislead people about his purpose or who is is. He is the preparer, the ground-breaker for the one who is to follow.

Life is very complicated and short, concise answers may not always be possible. This is something to keep in mind though: to remember who we are and why we are here and to live into that knowledge telling people simply and clearly our answer to the question, But who are you? Answering that is easier with the knowledge that we are not alone on the journey.
jfd+

Copyright 2008. John F. Dwyer. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment