Saturday, December 27, 2008

Daily Office Reflection: St. John

MP: Psalms 97, 98; Proverbs 8:22-30; John 13:20-35
EP: Psalm 145; Isaiah 44:1-8; 1John 5:1-12

Today, two days after Christmas, is the Feast of St. John. Some have asked if he is my namesake. The answer is no. My father had a friend named John who died very young and I am named after him. That's not a bad reason to give someone a name. And it certainly fits into what we hear in John's Gospel today....Jesus gives a new commandment: that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.

So simple, this instruction, and yet so very challenging. I am sure Jesus knew it would be a challenge for us to put love first when we are dealing with each other. There is no set way to achieve this status of love-first. We all have to find our own way of seeking a pathway to fulfill this new commandment. What a great Christmas gift to ourselves and to those around us if we can refocus our efforts in this direction. I don't think that there is a better gift available.
jfd+

Copyright 2008, John F. Dwyer. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment