Monday, November 24, 2008

Daily Office Reflection: That Narrow Hole

Psalms 106:1-18 * 106:19-48; Zechariah 10:1-12; Galatians 6:1-10; Luke 18:15-30

I am just awful at threading a needle. I always fumble and fumble with that silly and wobbly thread trying to make it go through that teeny tiny hole. I tried those loop-hole threading devices that only seem to make the frustration worse. I have tried a larger needle, which makes the treading easier but the sewing doesn't work so well with those big-honking needles. I have recently stumbled upon a neat little device that  claims it will make threading the needle easy (it was a give-away gift from an online purchase I made at a craft store). The instruction booklet is three pages long. A bit complicated for so simple an act as threading a needle.......

I have often wondered if those devices and my inability to use them properly and the frustration resultant therefrom is analogous to the making the kingdom of God Jesus talks about today. Jesus tells us we have to receive the kingdom as a child would. That innocence and openness and ability to see directly at the simple inner beauty of a thing is part of what I think Jesus is talking about. Trying to find other ways of doing something is often unnecessary if we simply do the direct and obvious approach, not complicate it or over-examine it, or over-theorize it. Simply accept. Not so simple, I know. About as simple as threading a needle for an older person with fumbly fingers and weakening eyesight.

Stripping away the complications we make for ourselves is one of the things Jesus is talking about today which will allow the kingdom of God to become an integral part of our lives. Stripping away those complications and opening ourselves to this mystery. Simply accepting helps us thread our way through that narrow hole, which isn't so narrow once we un-complicate things.
jfd+

Copyright 2008, John F. Dwyer. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment