Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Daily Office Reflection: Remembering What Is Important

Psalms 101, 109:1-4(5-19)20-30 * 119: 121-144; Malachi 1:1,6-14; James 3:13-4:12; Luke 17:11-19

Every time I look at CNN, or The New York Times, or The Washington Post, or some other media outlet, there is a story about employment lay-offs. 50,000+ from Citibank this week, small companies closing, stores shuddering....it can be mind-numbing. The National Cathedral announced a large lay-off of employees this morning and a shuddering of the beautiful and historic Cathedral College. Besides knowing that place very well, I also know a number of people who have been or are being laid off today.

Prior to being ordained I worked in NYC for many years and for different firms and corporations. I was laid off from a few jobs because of "down-sizing" so I understand the distress and pure terror that invades every part of one's life when they are going through something like this. Do I have enough money to pay my rent/mortgage? Can I make the car payment or the credit card payment? Can I afford Cobra or will I have to be uninsured until I can find employment? Will that new job give me insurance coverage? The blow to the ego and the demeaning nature of the job search process can just beat a person down.

One of the things that helped me as I struggled through times like this was to try and remember how fortunate I was to have health, family and friends who supported me, and most importantly God, who never left my side as I struggled to find employment. Prayer helps. If you are someone who is facing unemployment or are unemployed, pray. Reach out to those you know for support, care and love. Talk about it. If you know someone who is going through this, pray for them and be there for them....reach out to them in kindness and love. Responding in love aids in the creation of this kingdom we strive for. Remember what is important.

A Prayer for the Unemployed:
Heavenly God, we remember before you those who suffer want and anxiety from lack of work. Guide the people of this land so to use our public and private wealth that all may find suitable and fulfilling employment, and receive just payment for their labor, through Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen

jfd+

Copyright 2008, John F. Dwyer. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment