Friday, November 21, 2008

Daily Office Reflection: Persistence

Psalms 102 * 107:1-32; Malachi 3:1-12; James 5:7-11; Luke 18:1-8

God's love for us holds no bounds. We are granted this love whether we think we deserve it or not. One of the only analogies I can make to this, which pales in comparison but I think sheds light on this mystery, is the love a dog showers on its owner. I can have just the crappiest day in the world, and be in a pretty awful mood, and yet when my dog sees me, whether it has been 5 minutes or 5 hours, she is just thrilled to see me. The love that pours out of her, the joy at being in my presence is all that she wants (besides going for walks and being fed treats). 

God's love for us is like unto that, but beyond it! Jesus talks about the unjust judge and the pestering widow today. The unjust judge responds just to keep her quiet, not out of love. Jesus says that of course God will answer our prayers. The thing is, I don't think we always recognize God's answers. If we persistently keep ourselves open to God's love, our perspective changes and we can see things in a different light, where we can feel and know God's love for us, down to the very root of our being. Isn't that something.
jfd+

Copyright 2008, John F. Dwyer. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment