Thursday, September 11, 2008

Daily Office Reflection: Sept. 11th

Psalms: 50 * (59) 60 or 93, 96; Job 29:1,31:1-23; Acts 15:1-11; John 11:17-29

I am the resurrection and the life. Those who believe in me, even though they die, will live, and everyone who lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?

Seven years ago today, right about now, I was in my office two blocks from the World Trade Center starting what I thought would be another busy, yet typical day. A few hours later, everything had changed. I can pull up tiny details of that day without much effort: things are still very sharp and very present for me. I can remember the sounds, the colors, the smells, the feel of those hours as if they were yesterday. The confusion, he way day turned to night when the first tower fell. The way the dust started to clear slightly when the second tower came down, both of which felt like an earthquake. I can also remember the gut-wrenching fright and the manner in which I acted to try and keep the folks in my office for whom I was responsible calm.

Cell phone and telephone service ended because of the fires and then the collapse, as most of the antennas where on the North Tower. After the second tower came down, somehow a signal got through on my cell phone: a friend calling to find out if I was okay. Hearing his voice made me start to cry. I quickly shut those tears off as I still had about 40 people in the office who were looking to me for answers and guidance and leadership. Rocco's call to me was a little bit of resurrection life for me: it brought me home.

So much has happened in seven years. But some memories never fade. Maybe they aren't supposed to. Life does go on though with the sure and confidence knowledge provided by the opening lines of our Prayer Book Burial Service we read in John's Gospel today. Words of comfort that are very much needed today.
jfd+

Copyright 2008, John F. Dwyer. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment