Friday, June 25, 2010

Daily Office Reflection: Through the Noise

Psalms 102 * 107:1-32; Numbers 20:1-13; Romans 5:12-21; Matthew 20:29-34

There are times, when I am in a large crowd of people out on the street, and I get overwhelmed by the noise, the sounds, the constant distractions of so many different things going on at the same time. I can find it hard to focus on one individual, or stay a-tuned to the thing I am supposed to be doing. So today's Gospel account of Jesus hearing two blind individuals on the side of the road yelling out to him for help, while he is surrounded by "a large crowd", resounds with me. I marvel at the fact that Jesus could actually hear and notice their pleas for mercy and aid, as well as reach out to them, show his great compassion and heal them, all amidst the noise and tumult around him.

I do not know if I will ever have the ability to not become overwhelmed at times. I do know, however, that today's Gospel reading brings me great comfort. This Gospel explicitly shows me that I don't have to worry about that inability because we have a loving God who does not get overwhelmed and will reach out and help those who yearn for that loving embrace and healing. That is a great thought to carry through the day!
jfd+

Copyright 2010, The Rev. John F. Dwyer. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment