Saturday, April 3, 2010

Daily Office Reflection: Holy Saturday, Yr. Two



Psalms 95, 88 * 27; Lamentations 3:37-58; Hebrews 4:1-16(MP); Romans 8:1-11(EP)

Jesus is in the tomb this morning having suffered a terrible day yesterday. He is resting in his tomb today.

We are in that in-between time - that unsure time. How do we treat this Holy Saturday? Many of us (me included) will be very active today getting ready for the Vigil tonight and tomorrow's onslaught of services and receptions. I find it very challenging to appreciate and live into this Holy Saturday moment because of all the activity that I will immerse myself in shortly. And I am not sure if that activity is partly due to being uncomfortable in this in-between time of Lent and being able to shout that "A" word tonight and tomorrow. That uncomfortable knowledge that God went silent on this day.

Perhaps I will have to work on this Holy Saturday ritual some, in the future. For now, I have to take the few moments on my terrace, saying MP, with the birds chirping and the sun rising as my "rest", and as I scurry on to the busy-ness of the day I will try keep in my head the prayer for today - found on page 283 of the BCP:

O God, Creator of heaven and earth: Grant that, as the crucified body of your dear Son was laid in the tomb and rested on this holy Sabbath, so we may await with him the coming of the third day, and rise with him to newness of life; who now lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit one God, for ever and ever.
Amen
jfd+
Copyright 2010, The Rev. John F. Dwyer. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment