Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Daily Office Reflection: What About Bald People?

Psalms 119:1-24 * 12, 13, 14; Jeremiah 37:3-21; 1 Corinthians 14:13-25; Matthew 10:24-35

Jesus tells us to not be afraid, that God loves us so much that God knows the amount of hairs on our head! Well, speaking for someone who is follicaly challenged, this simile is not all that helpful to me.

Some mornings when I read MP, and perhaps the coffee hasn't kicked in just yet, I am not looking to be challenged in understanding the metaphors that run through Scripture, and I hope for a more literal, simple reading. I recognize that this is unrealistic and a bit juvenile, but sometimes I think we all want something nice'n easy. But God's Word as we have in Scripture is really not like that. There is a complexity and beauty and mystery that keeps us coming back to continue in the conversation.

But today's overall, over-arching message can be considered quite clear: God's love for us, each one of us, is right here for us to accept. Whether bald or with a full head of hair, fat or skinny, fit or flabby, whatever ethnicity, gender, sexuality, God's love for us, down to the smallest hair remaining on us, is known and loved. I suppose that is pretty simple and direct.....sigh.
jfd+

Copyright 2009, The Rev. John F. Dwyer. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment