Saturday, May 16, 2009

Daily Office Reflection: Not Everyone Says Yes

Psalms 75, 76 * 23, 27; Wisdom 19:1-8, 18-22; Romans 15:1-13; Luke 9:1-17

Jesus sends his 12 apostles out today having given them power and authority over demons, to cure diseases and to proclaim God's kingdom. He warns them that not everyone will welcome them and, although he doesn't say these exact words, he says not to worry about them (shake the dust from your feet as you leave).  

I struggle with this. I want everyone to come and be a part of effectuating the continued creation of God's kingdom Jesus ushers into the world. I want everyone to be a part of this joyous communal activity. And I know this is unrealistic and silly, but "want" and reality are often two very different things. 

Jesus doesn't say don't try, but he does make clear that  we are to keep moving on when the answer is no, we are to keep moving on to that next town and keep spreading the kingdom's creation. Not all will say yes. There will be disappointments. Perhaps that is one of the reasons I struggle with this idea: I don't like disappointments. But there it is in the Gospel, Jesus bursting my bubble again. How do you savor the victories if you don't have the disappointments to match them against?
jfd+

Copyright 2009, The Rev. John F. Dwyer. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment