Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Daily Office Reflection: New Eyes

Psalms 56, 57, (58) * 64, 65; Wisdom 9:1,7-18; Colossians (3:18-4:1)2-18; Luke 7:36-50

I'm just back from six days off, and my first Sunday off in many months. I didn't go anywhere exciting or new or do anything fantastically memorable. I visited friends and family, read, took long walks with the dog, caught a nap almost every day and quietly prayed. I found that I was much more tired than I thought I was and am grateful for the quiet time away. I cannot say that I am fully refreshed, but I know I am not as exhausted. And I think I can now see the forest, despite the trees, while before I took a brief time off, I think I was only seeing the bugs on the bark of individual trees.

Perhaps this is the feeling the "sinful woman" in our Gospel reading felt when she saw Jesus sitting at the Pharisees table: this feeling of getting a glimpse of the bigger picture. This feeling of knowing that there is more to life than our individual and sometimes petty concerns that can overwhelm us allowing us to think of nothing else. Jesus' love and forgiveness of this individual, who got a glimpse of the bigger picture when she saw him, indicates to us the love and forgiveness awaiting for us. Not only awaiting for us and available for us, but is indicative of what we should do, how we should act toward those we meet.

I know this wider vision I have will not last and that I will get sucked into looking at the bugs on the bark of individual trees, forgetting about the forest. I hope and pray that I can more frequently and more  easily take that journey back to see the majesty of the forest in all its resplendent beauty. 
jfd+

Copyright 2009. The Rev. John F. Dwyer. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment