Thursday, January 22, 2009

Daily Office Reflection: More, More, More

Psalms 37:1-18 * 37:19-42; Isaiah 45:5-17; Ephesians 5:15-33; Mark 4:21-34

Some days it is hard to find the words to express my initial reactions to the Daily Office readings. There is a lack of clarity of thought, a more scattered impression. Unfortunately, today is one of those mornings. I know why there is this muddiness: I'm a bit cranked out because of a restless night. I also know when I'm cranky it is not a great time to try to be reflective. Busy-ness, distractions, a feeling that nothing is getting completed and a lack of responsiveness by some can all go into the mix of not feeling "on", but rather "off".

Our Gospel reading from Mark makes it clear that to those who have, more is given. Normally prayer and reflection helps untie the knot that is the state of crankheadedness, helps me let go, focus and move on with my day. Not working so far today. I will think about this Gospel during the day today and try to absorb, make a part of my being these profound words Jesus gives to his disciples: the measure you give will be the measure you get; to those who have, more will be given; the kingdom of God is like a mustard seed......From small, seemingly insignificant things, great and unexpected things can be produced: patient vigilance is called for to effectuate the kingdom of God. May our gracious and loving God grant me that state of being today.

jfd+
Copyright 2009, John F. Dwyer. All Rights Reserved.


No comments:

Post a Comment