Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Daily Office Reflection: The Object of Attention

Psalms 45 * 47, 48; Exodus 32:21-34; 1Thessalonians 1:1-10; Matthew 5:11-16

I am a person who under-states things, who does not really like to draw attention to myself. This is just part of my introverted nature. One of those interesting dichotomies in life is that I have chosen careers throughout my life which have challenged me not to act in that manner: as a lawyer for 18 years, and now as a parish priest. Neither of these have made it easy to fade into the background or travel under the radar screen. This is an interesting tension that I cogitate on frequently.

Jesus instructs us today to not fade into the background or travel under the radar screen when it comes to being a Christian: in acting out our lives as examples for others to model. Jesus tells us to be that salty person who, by their very saltiness, draws attention to themselves and points people on the way. Jesus, through the metaphor of a city built on a hill, is telling us to stand out, to be a luminous presence to those who need to see this light, hear this good news, to be vane and out and loud and proud for Jesus.

This is so much easier said, and thought about, then done.
jfd+

Copyright 2008, John F. Dwyer. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment