Monday, August 9, 2010

Daily Office Reflection: Flesh and Spirit

Psalms 89:1-18 * 89:19-52; Judges 12:1-7; Acts 5:12-26; John 3:1-21

It is really warm and humid here in DC right now. But what can one expect when we live in a former swamp and it is August. I give thanks for being fortunate enough to have central air conditioning.

When I was growing up in the '60s we did not have air conditioning. July and August in the suburbs of NYC had (and still has) similar humid weather to what we are living through in DC right now. I can remember going to sleep, laying on the bed, with no blanket or sheet covering me and being extremely warm, but not unbearably uncomfortable. We, as humans, can adapt and survive to a tremendous amount more than we give ourselves credit.

Although I am now pretty spoiled I know I could re-adapt to non-air conditioned conditions. Although my flesh might initially be uncomfortable, that discomfort would not inhibit my spirit. In reading in John's Gospel today about Jesus' conversation with Nicodemus (the individual who at the end of this Gospel claims Jesus' tortured and dead body, cleans it, wraps it and places it in his own tomb) we hear Jesus say What is born of the flesh is flesh, and what is born of the Spirit is spirit. We can get so distracted by and focused on "flesh" things that we forget about how much more influential Spirit can be in our lives. We are amazing beings, and can handle so much more that is thrown at us than we often believe. The Spirit to do those things that are right, to not let our human foibles get in the way, is something I am going to continue to ponder today.
jfd+

Copyright 2010, The Rev. John F. Dwyer. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment