Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Daily Office Reflection: St. Michael & All Angels

MP: Psalms 8, 148; Job 38:1-7; Hebrews 1:1-14
EP: Psalms 34, 130 or 104; Daniel 12:1-5 or 2 Kings 6:8-17; Mark 13:21-27 or Revelation 5:1-14

What is there to write about angels? What is there is say about the one spoken of as the most powerful of all angels, Michael? Anytime I think of angels now the images from the movie Dogma come to mind. And although I like this movie, I think it has an undue influence on how I think about these mysterious beings.

Angels have taken a back seat in our culture, in our churches, even though many are named after them: we talk more about Saints more than we do angels. And our focus, as is appropriate, is centered on Jesus as opposed to these mysterious beings, angels.

In no uncertain terms I can say....that I don't know what I think about angels and the fierce St. Michael. My skepticism is great and deep. I do not discount the possibility (or probability) that the majesty and mystery that is God could have these beings surrounding us, this God who embodied Jesus and lived and loved among us. This God who can and does always surprise. Through the skepticism, staying open to God's loving surprises is something for which I continue to strive and something we are reminded of and called to by today's celebration.
jfd+

Copyright 2009, The Rev. John F. Dwyer. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment