Monday, March 23, 2009

Daily Office Reflection:Time Away

Psalms 89:1-18 *89:19-52; Jeremiah 16:10-21; Romans 7:1-12; John 6:1-15

We all we need time away at different points in our lives: times of rest, times of doing something different than the norm. Jesus models this for us throughout the Gospels, as he does today: going to pray, going someplace to be by himself, allowing himself to come back to himself and not be deceived into thinking he is something other than what God made him to be. 

I've been away for a few days, not so much resting, as doing things for family that are outside of my normal routines. Although tired, I am a bit re-focused in a way that would not have been possible had I not taken a break from my routine that has developed. Where I was visiting had no internet connectivity (believe it or not) and I chose not to write every morning, again a change to my routine. 

We all need to find that mountain space Jesus goes to today to refresh ourselves, refind ourselves, come back to our real selves. Particularly during the rigors of a Lenten discipline, this re-finding time is imperative.
jfd+

Copyright 2009, John F. Dwyer. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment