Saturday, February 14, 2009

Daily Office Reflection: Asking

Psalms 87, 90 * 136; Isaiah 61:10-62:5; 1Timothy 4:1-8; Mark 10:46-52

There is something different about our Gospel reading today. In many of the healing stories Mark gives us, the receiver is unnamed. But our recipient today is provided a name beyond the simple description of his ailment: a blind beggar, Bartimaeus son of Timaeus

Bartimaeus was clear and insistent in his asking, in his plea to Jesus. He did not sit at his spot on the side of the road waiting for someone to help him: he asked when the opportunity presented itself. I think that is an important lesson to take away from today's Gospel reading. I find myself in situations at times where I think people should simply know what I want, what I need and I don't ask. The result is much as you might expect, I don't get what I want or need. People aren't mind readers (most of the time) and there is a time and a place for the asking in many situations. 

Perhaps on this Valentine's Day, remembering to ask for what we want, for what we need, isn't such a bad thing to consider.
jfd+

Copyright 2009, John F. Dwyer. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment